Sunday, March 29, 2015

The Indiana Law

I've written on this issue before, but I'll repeat: I'm skeptical.   People have a right to think whatever they want about marrying other men (women), Jews, etc.  But if you say "I won't follow that law because it violates my religious beliefs," that's a pretty broad exception.   Suppose that I have a deeply held belief that I shouldn't stand too close to women other than my wife.     Can I then say that no women can come into my store?    Wouldn't it make more sense to avoid retail sales and start another business?  

I realize this is an oversimplification: it's not an easy issue.   But the precedent remains dangerous.     It's hard to escape that the real argument is that gays have some lower level of protection than other minority groups.    And that's potentially quite troublesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment